Monday, September 6, 2010

桂林- Gui Lin

Due to the massive amount of things I must cover in this post, I have decided to break it into 2 or 3 sub-parts. First is about Gui Lin. We left for Gui Lin on August 23rd, and I went on my first real train ride. It was a 13 hour trip total but wasn't nearly as bad as you would think it was. Each seat is actually a bed so from about midnight until 7 a.m. I was asleep to pass the time. Everyone said the beds were uncomfortable, but I slept fairly well. When we arrived, we went to get get ready, and then went to breakfast. We ate breakfast for 50 cents, but it was still incredible. Later that day, we went to Elephant Trunk Hill and hiked up to the top. You can see some of the pictures on my Picasa. After that, we went around in a small cave, and then hiked to the top of that. After that, we went to Reed Flute Cave which is where all the colorful pictures come from.

The next day, we headed to 阳朔 (Yang Shuo). Instead of taking a bus, we took a 3 hour boat ride down the river which had really nice scenery. After arriving in Yang Shuo we had free time the rest of the day. I ended up passing out asleep as well as my roommate. We went to dinner, and afterward decided to check out the night life. At one place, they played the only Chinese song that I know all the words to, so everyone liked me. The next day we went on bicycle ride through some of the village/towns outside of Yang Shuo. We had more free time in the afternoon, so we decided to rent Mopeds. To rent a Moped in China, you only have to give them $10 USD for 60 km of Moped use. They don't require you to present any form of ID or require you to fill out a waiver. Driving in a downtown city.

It may turn out to be longer than 3 posts. It is a lot longer than I expected.

3 comments:

  1. What are the "blue" pictures, and what do you mean "Michael Making It Look Like a Ghost"?

    Very cool that you can embed Chinese characters into the post.

    In one of the posts will you elaborate a little on the food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had set lights up in the cave behind rock formations to make it look better. In that picture, my friend ran in front of the camera while the picture was being taken, so in the middle, it looks a little bit like a ghost was there. In the next post, I will elaborate on our food experiences and the quest for dog meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool.

    Looking forward to hearing a little more about the food.

    Next time you're in NYC, I'll take you out for a Shackburger http://shakeshack.com/

    ReplyDelete